WooCommerce Paid Courses is fully compatible with WooCommerce, and automatically detects if it is installed. By default, WooCommerce Paid Courses enables the ability to link a course to one or more WooCommerce products. This allows someone to purchase a course on your site. When a course is linked to a WooCommerce product, the lesson content is only viewable by people who have actually purchased the course.
Linking a Product to a Course
To link a WooCommerce product to a course, ensure that WooCommerce is installed and activated. Then follow these steps to create a product:
- Go to Products > Add New.
- Add some product details including a title and description.
- In the Product data meta box that appears below the editor, select the Virtual checkbox (this will remove shipping information at checkout).
- Add a product short description. (This will be displayed on the product card when multiple products are attached to a course.)
- Click Save Draft or Publish the product.
- Repeat these steps for any additional products.
Next, you’ll need to associate the product with the course(s) you’d like to sell:
- Go to Courses > All Courses and click on the course you would like to attach to your new product.
- Click on the Sensei LMS icon in the top right of the screen to open the sidebar.
- Select one or more products to link to the course.
- Click Update to save.
Please note that if you have the Classic Editor plugin installed, or are using a version of WordPress < 5.0, you will not see the Sensei LMS icon. Instead, you can add products from the Products section in the sidebar:
Purchasing a Course
Site visitors can purchase a course on the single course page. The purchase options map to the products that are linked to the course:
If only a single product is attached to the course, then a purchase button is displayed instead of cards. People who purchase the course will be enrolled as soon as the WooCommerce order status is Processing or Completed. If you created a virtual product when configuring the course product (as per step 3 above), the order is completed as soon as payment is made.
Removing a Learner from a Course
In order to remove a learner from a course that they have purchased, the status of their WooCommerce order needs to be changed to one of On hold, Cancelled or Refunded. Changing the order status to one of these values will unenroll the learner from the course in Sensei LMS > Learner Management, and they will no longer be able to access it.
It is not possible for your site visitors to purchase a course without a user account. This means that WooCommerce’s Allow customers to place orders without an account setting will have no effect if the user is checking out with courses in their cart.