Selling a Course as a Membership
- Create a membership plan.
- Ensure that Grant access upon is set to product(s) purchase on the General tab, and that one or more products are entered in the Products field.
- On the Restrict Content tab, click the Add New Rule button.
- Select Courses from the dropdown, then search for and select the course(s) you’d like to include in the membership. (Alternatively, you can add a Course Categories rule and select one or more course categories. All courses with those categories will be included in the membership.)
- Click the Add New Rule button again.
- Select Lessons from the dropdown, then search for and select all of the lessons in the course(s). This is to ensure that lesson content is not visible until a membership is purchased.
- Click Publish.
Site visitors will now be required to purchase one of the products associated with the membership in order to view course content.
Preventing Conflicts with Course Access
When a course has a product attached via the Products metabox on the Edit Course page, and that same product is also being used to sell the same course in a membership, it can create a conflict with course access. This is because both Sensei LMS and WooCommerce Memberships are each vying for control – Sensei LMS because the product is attached directly to the course, and WooCommerce Memberships because the product is attached to a course membership.
To protect against this, a warning will now appear on the Edit Course and Edit Membership Plan pages when this situation is detected:
In order to resolve this, you can choose to either:
- Remove the product from the membership (in the screenshot above, the product is called Simple Product) OR
- Remove the product from the course
You can, of course, select a different product to use to sell the membership or course.