Your WordPress website needs to be as engaging and interesting as possible to hold the attention of the reader and keep visitors on the page. Quizzes are a brilliant way to boost engagement and offer web users an exciting, interactive experience.
Quizzes can be used effectively in educational content such as lessons, for entertainment purposes, to teach visitors about your products, or to capture information about your audience, such as their preferences and email address. The effectiveness of quizzes in these contexts is backed by research. For example, a 2021 study in IEEE Access shows that student engagement and motivation improve dramatically when quizzes are used as part of online study resources.
In this article, we’ll discuss the benefits of using quizzes on your WordPress website, outline key factors to consider when choosing a WordPress quiz plugin and highlight the top 7 quiz plugins for WordPress.
Why Use a Quiz Plugin on Your Website?
There are several excellent reasons to consider adding quizzes to your WordPress site. Here are some of the key benefits of using a quiz plugin:
- Increase user engagement: Perhaps the most significant benefit of using a quiz plugin is to enhance user engagement. Quizzes, surveys, and interactive online polls increase reader engagement by actively encouraging them to participate and spend more time on the page. Boosting engagement not only makes the user experience more memorable and distinctive, but also prompts visitors to spend more time on the site and explore other pages, quizzes, or content types. To optimize engagement, it’s beneficial to think carefully about where you place your quizzes, for example, on landing pages or lesson pages. The best fit will depend on the content type and focus and your target audience.
- Gather valuable data and insights: Website quizzes help site owners to collect valuable information and gain insight into user behaviors, preferences, and opinions. You can learn about demographics, interests, requirements, and user perceptions to help you make well-informed decisions about marketing strategies, content creation, and product development.
- Generate leads and conversions: quizzes are an excellent tool for generating and converting leads. Using different types of quizzes and polls, you can collect useful information, such as email addresses, to help you boost lead generation and conversion.
- Assess educational content: Educational website owners, language schools, interactive learning platforms, and online course creators use quizzes to create engaging, compelling content and learning experiences for students, helping them to assess their understanding and skills and providing personalized feedback via quiz answers.
As well as helping students to gauge their understanding of a subject, quizzes also help educators to get an insight into how effective their learning materials and resources are. If students are performing well in the quizzes, this indicates that the teaching materials are working. Site owners can also choose where to place the quizzes and surveys, for example, within the lesson or in a different section, to give the user an idea of what the learning experience will be like.
- Enhance user experience: Using a quiz plugin is a fantastic way to enhance user experience, encourage visitors to spend more time browsing and using the site and create a more interactive, interesting, and informative experience. For site owners, using a well-designed plugin facilitates effective branding and design to create a better, more user-friendly site.
- Social sharing: Offering the option to share quizzes on social media with social sharing buttons enables you to drive more traffic to your site, gain exposure and create viral quizzes, which get people talking.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Quiz Plugin
It’s important to choose the best quiz or survey plugin for your WordPress website to achieve your objectives. Here are some essential factors to consider when evaluating different quiz plugins:
- Compatibility with different WordPress versions and themes: It’s important to ensure that your chosen quiz plugin is compatible with your WordPress theme and version, as this can prevent potential conflicts and ensure a smooth integration. Research compatible plugins before narrowing down your choices and coming up with a shortlist.
- Ease of use and user interface: As a WordPress site owner, you want to be able to create, manage and customize quizzes, surveys, and polls without needing advanced technical skills or expertise. Search for a quiz plugin that is easy to use and has an accessible user interface, which makes creating and adapting content simple and stress-free.
- Variety of question types and quiz styles: When looking for the best quiz plugins, look for versatile candidates that provide an extensive range of question types and quiz styles. Popular types of questions include multiple-choice questions, true or false, and fill-in-the-blanks. Commonly used quiz types include personality tests, trivia quizzes, and educational assessments. A versatile quiz plugin can help create engaging and diverse quizzes that cater to various purposes and target audiences.
- Integration with other tools and platforms: Quiz plugins that integrate seamlessly with other tools, features, and platforms, including email marketing services, social media, and CRM systems, can help you enhance your site by improving user experience, boosting lead generation and conversion, and expanding your reach. Look for quiz plugins that integrate with the systems or tools you already use on your site.
- Pricing and features: Before you make a decision, outline your goals and consider your budget. Free quiz plugins may save you money but they usually comprise limited features. Premium plugins are an investment that will ultimately give you more features to work with. Think about the kinds of features you need to create compelling quizzes on your site and compare different price points to help you find the plugin that best suits your requirements and budget.
- Support and documentation: Quiz plugins that provide extensive documentation and responsive support are hugely beneficial for site owners and plugin users. Look for plugins that offer online support and advice and access to tutorials, FAQ sections and guides. This will help to ensure that you get the best out of your plugin and simplify and speed up the process of solving problems if you need to troubleshoot.
The Top 7 WordPress Quiz Plugins
There is an impressive range of WordPress quiz plugins to choose from, but which one is the best? To help you decide, we’ve compiled a list of the top 7 WordPress quiz plugins:
1. Sensei LMS
Sensei LMS is an all-in-one learning management system (LMS) plugin that includes quiz functionality. If you are an online educator, then this is definitely the plugin to get as you can design fully-fledged courses and add quizzes to grade students. This being said you don’t have to be an educator to use Sensei. There are two plans available with Sensei that could be the right choice for you if you want to create online quizzes on your WordPress website. These are:
Priced at just $60 per year, Sensei Blocks is a collection of interactive blocks that you can use anywhere on your website. One of these is a Questions Block, which comes with multiple choice, ordering, and fill-in-the-blank questions. You can display personalized feedback depending on how people answer the questions. Additional Sensei Blocks include Flashcards, Image Hotspots, Interactive Videos, and Tasklists.
Sensei Pro is the premium version of Sensei, which offers a dazzling array of course-creation tools at $179 per year. These features include a separate Quiz block, which you can integrate into lessons. This quiz block is the best way to create educational quizzes, as you get:
- A choice of 7 question types, including multiple-choice questions, true or false, fill in the blanks, single line, multi-line, ordering, and file upload
- A choice of manual or automatic grading, depending on the question type
- The option to allow repeat attempts
- The option to assign different weights to different questions like traditional assessments and exams
- The option to set timers for quizzes
- The ability to create and award certificates for students who pass quizzes
- The ability to create a bank of questions, which can be reused
Crowdsignal is a tool that makes it quick and easy to create unlimited surveys, quizzes, and polls. Though available as a WordPress plugin, you can share your quizzes on other platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, or you could send them to your email list. Despite being very easy to use, you get advanced features such as data filters. You also get full control over your data as you can export your poll and survey results to apps like Google Sheets and Excel. There’s a free version for Crowdsignal, but bear in mind that it’s limited to 2500 responses.
Crowdsignal, like Sensei LMS, is made by Automattic, which is the same team behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, and Jetpack. This means that you’ll get guaranteed quality whether you opt for Sensei or Crowdsignal as your solution for WordPress quizzes. It all depends on what you need – if you want to create polls and surveys, Crowdsignal is a great option. If you create educational content and want to grade students, we’d opt for Sensei.
QuizCat is a popular WordPress quiz plugin, largely due to its simplicity and versatility. QuizCat is easy to use and lets you create a wide range of quizzes, surveys, and polls. If you need to create lots of quiz types, such as Buzzfeed-style personality tests, trivia questions, or educational online quizzes, this plugin might be a good contender.
This plugin is great for lead generation as you can set quizzes up to ask for an email address before people can see their quiz results. QuizCat connects with most email marketing service providers, including Mailchimp and it connects to over 500 web apps through Zapier.
An additional bonus for site owners is the ability to track progress and see how well quizzes are performing through analytics.
4. WP Quiz
Like Quiz Cat, WP Quiz is a versatile plugin for creating quizzes. You can create interactive list posts, surveys, and personality quizzes, and you can also turn your website into a Facebook quiz site.
In addition to fun trivia quizzes, WP Quiz also lets you create online exams. However, we would argue that WP Quiz does not perform as well in this area as Sensei, which has superior educational functionality built in for course creators and educators.
Features that we like include the option to randomize question order, embed quizzes on any site, and record the time it takes to complete the quiz.
5. Quiz and Survey Master
Quiz and Survey Master comes with a few notable features. You can personalize the results page, and display a leaderboard for competitive quizzes.
You have the option to choose from a wide range of add-ons, but the caveat is that a lot of these add-ons need to be bought separately or as a bundle, which makes it rather expensive.
Even without the add-ons, we’d call this an expensive plugin, since the Basic plan lacks essential features such as conditional logic, which are only available with the plugin’s higher tiers.
There’s a lot you can do with Riddle, but we think this quiz plugin is best suited for companies and agencies that want to use interactive quizzes to boost lead generation and convert customers. You can add sponsored content, host contests, and giveaways, and recommend products. Additionally, you can create employee surveys to be used internally.
This is an expensive plugin too, with monthly pricing, but the pricing is more justifiable when you consider that this plugin should really be used by medium-to-big businesses.
7. Quiz Maker by Opinion Stage
Quiz Maker is a versatile, user-friendly quiz builder by Opinion Stage. Its biggest advantage is that it comes with hundreds of templates, which means you can easily create quizzes for every use case. You can also customize every CTA button, question, and answer option, to make your quizzes fit your branding. There’s a handy Skip logic feature, which means that you can send respondents to different questions based on their responses to previous questions.
What’s the Best WordPress Quiz Plugin?
There are several WordPress plugins available for sharing quizzes on your website. After researching the top options, we’ve determined that Sensei LMS is the best choice, particularly for online course creators who want to add advanced graded quizzes within lessons using the quiz block available with Sensei Pro or create simple questions through the question block available in the Sensei Blocks plan. However, if you’re not an educator and simply want to create advanced surveys and polls, Crowdsignal is a suitable alternative.
Learn more about Sensei and its outstanding features and choose the right plan for your quiz needs!